After the success of the inaugural McKayos in 2015, it will be back bigger and better on Sat, 24th September 2016.
The unique mass start mountain bike Gravity Enduro event, similar to the Megavalanche style event held in many European resorts, attracted 75 riders in 2016. Marketing & Communications Manager, Jo Prothero says ‘we are anticipating a much larger field this year, given the success of the inaugural event, so would encourage riders to register early to avoid disappointment’.
This unique event will start from the snowy slopes of Australia’s highest drivable peak, Mt McKay at 1,850m to the pristine shores of Lake Guy in Bogong Village at 660m.
Combining Snow, Dirt and Road, the course takes riders 22km through single track, fire trails and sealed mountain roads for a total descent of 1700m. A mass start on snow is sure to see some chaos from the starter’s gun as riders muscle for position. Fingers crossed for a freeze the night before.
The event is also a State Finalist in the Australian Event Awards for Best new event.
• Single Gravity Enduro mountain bike stage
• Single mass start on snow
• 22km course – including NEW 7km of single track
• 1,700m total descent
• Entries open to Individual competitors and NEW teams (one has to be female)
• $75 per rider or $300 for a team
• The event will be officially timed this year
• Winning awards presentations at Bogong Village after last riders has finished
• Competitors will be shuttled back to Falls Creek upon finishing the stage
• Full face helmets are mandatory
• NEW – After party on Saturday night
For further information please visit www.mckayos.com.au