With just over a week to go, Cycling Australia & MTBA are pleased to confirm the final team that will travel to South Africa to represent Australia at the 2013 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships.
The 2013 Championships will take place at Cascades MTB Park in Pietermaritzburg from 26 August – 1 September.
Elite Men Cross Country XCO
- Daniel MCCONNELL (Bruthen, VIC) 2012 London Olympian, 2013 Elite Men XCO Oceania Champion, Winner – 2013 MTB World Cup XC #1
- Paul VAN DER PLOEG (Towonga, VIC)
U23 Men Cross Country XCO
- Michael CROSBIE (East Malvern, VIC)
U23 Women Cross Country XCO
- Rebecca HENDERSON (Monash, ACT) 2012 London Olympian, 2013 U23 Women XCO National & Oceania Champion, reigning UCI 2013 World Cup Series XCO U23 leader
Elite Men Downhill DHI
- Bryn ATKINSON (Wentworth Falls, NSW) (**Flow is pretty sure Bryn is injured and possibly won’t compete)
- Troy BROSNAN (Seacombe Heights, SA) 2010 & 2011 UCI Junior DHI World Champion
- Mitchell DELFS (Gracetown, WA)
- Jared GRAVES (Toowoomba, QLD)
- Michael HANNAH (Yorkeys Knob, QLD) 2013 Elite Men DHI National Champion
- Sam HILL (Gidgegannup, WA) 2006, 2007, 2010 Elite Men DHI World Champion, 2013 Gravity Cup (DHI) Champion
Elite Women Downhill DHI
- Caroline BUCHANAN (Kambah, ACT) 2013 BMX World Champion, 2009 & 10 UCI 4X World Champion
- Tracey HANNAH (Yorkeys Knob, QLD) 2013 DHI National Champion
Observed Trials OT
- Nathan MUMMERY (Point Cook, VIC) Elite Men 20″
- Lachlan SENS (Mandurang, VIC) Elite Men 20″&’26’
- Janine JUNGFELS (Calamvale, QLD) Elite Women
Junior Men Cross Country (XCO)
- Chris HAMILTON (18, Bendigo, VIC) 2013 National Series All Mountain Cup Champion
- Jack LAVIS (18, Batemans Bay, NSW)
- Tasman NANKERVIS (18, Bendigo, VIC)
Junior Women Cross Country (XCO)
- Holly HARRIS (18, Armidale, NSW) 2013 U19 National Champion, 2013 National Series All Mountain Cup Champion
Junior Men Downhill (DHI)
- Aidan VARLEY (16, Bright, VIC)
- Peter KNOTT (18, Townsville, QLD)
- Thomas CRIMMINS (18, Bredbo, NSW) 2013 U19 Oceania Champion, 2013 National Series Gravity Cup Champion
- Ben HILL (17, Ulverstone, TAS)
- Luke ELLISON (17, Pearce, NT)
- Dean LUCAS (18, Wooragree, VIC) 2013 U19 National Champion, winner UCI 2013 World Cup #2 (Val Di Sole)
- Brent SMITH (18, Woronora Heights, NSW)
Junior Women Downhill (DHI)
- Danielle BEECROFT (18, Londonderry, NSW) 2013 U19 Oceania Champion, 2013 National Series Gravity Cup Champion, 2012 World Championships bronze
- Tegan MOLLOY (17, Jindabyne, NSW)
Withdrawals – Scott Bowden (TAS), Ben Bradley (TAS) and Ben Forbes (QLD), Rowena Fry (TAS), Peta Mullens (VIC), Conor Fearon (SA).
“The Australian Team for 2013 is what I think is the best we have presented at a world championships,” said MTBA Executive Officer Tony Scott. “Dan McConnell (XCO) has already performed at a level not seen in decades, as has Rebecca Henderson (XCO).
“Dean Lucas has taken out a Downhill World Cup in the junior men category in 2013, while Tegan Molloy has also gained a podium spot while Janine Jungfels (Trials) has won a World Cup silver medal.
“Add to these excellent results against the world’s best we also have Sam Hill, Troy Brosnan and Michael Hannah who are building into the worlds, as is Caroline Buchanan who is in form after recently being crowned BMX world champion.
“We have a stellar cast of athletes who will put Australia on the map in 2013,” Scott remarked.