The not-so-minor details
Specialized S-Works Camber 29
We all like champagne...
We have a beer budget.
Well, there’s really not too much to say; this bike is exquisite.
When you spend some time assessing the whole (massive) Specialized mountain bike range, it’s easy to pass over the Camber series. It’s somewhat overshadowed by the whippet-esque racing performance of the Epic line and the legendary versatility of the slightly longer-travel Stumpjumpers.
But ask anyone who has ridden a Camber for their thoughts and they’ll launch into a mushy soliloquy about how the Camber is their perfect ‘one’ bike and they’re in a state of monogamous bliss.
Quite frankly, if this bike doesn’t blow us away, we’ll be disappointed. At around $10,000, it ought to leave us in a right lather of joy. We’ll be taking the Camber with us when we head north to Atherton next week, and putting it through the wringer on our rocky local trails when we return. Full video review to come!
The top-shelf S-Works Camber combines 110mm of plush and efficient FSR suspension with Fox Float CTD Factory Series with Kashima coated shock with a premium component package for uncompromising and versatile trail performance.
- New FACT 11m full carbon FSR frame with 29er-specific geometry has 110mm of travel, 142+ dropouts, an all-new concentric sealed-cartridge bearing shock link and features internal cable routing for the Command Post IR to create a lightweight and responsive trail weapon
- Custom-tuned FOX Float CTD Factory shock with Specialized proprietary AUTOSAG, Boost Valve, and Kashima coating features three compression settings: Climb, Trail and Descend
- FOX Float CTD Factory Series 29 fork with Kashima coating, rebound and compression adjust, lockout, tapered steerer tube and 110mm of travel smooths technical terrain
- Carbon Roval Control Trail SL 29 142+ wheelset with butted DT Swiss spokes, wider rim profile and 12mm thru-axle for lightweight toughness
- All-new, lighter and stiffer S-Works FACT OSBB, PF30, carbon crankset with a one-piece spider/arm combo delivers the ultimate power transfer
- Custom Formula T1 Racing brakes provide great braking power and modulation, while the Specialized Ground Control tyres maintain traction and roll fast
- SRAM’s XX1 11-speed rear derailleur, shifter and cassette offer the pinnacle in high-performance shifting. The 1×11 design eliminates the front derailleur and shifter saving additional weight and maintaining a huge gear range
- All-new, Specialized Command Post IR uses a remote lever to adjust saddle height on-the-fly to maximise climbing and descending performance