– Hong Kong returned to Chinese rule from the UK.
– Princess Diana was killed in a car crash.
– Mike Tyson Bites Evander Holyfield’s ear during a match and is suspended from boxing.
– Steve Jobs returns to run Apple Computers.
– Scientists in Scotland reveal the first successful cloning of an adult mammal a sheep named Dolly.
– Internet Explorer version 4 released.
– Notorious B.I.G. Shot killed in drive by shooting.
– The movie Titanic hits the big screen.
– Shaums March hits this gap jump.
“I have some great stories to tell the kids but I think there is one moment that will stand out for ever. 1997 was quite a year: I’d got sponsored to go out and have fun showing off the bikes and who I was. I was competing in the National at Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania and I’d got knocked out early, so I was watching from the announcers’ booth. Freerider that I am, I was eyeing up a transfer jump I had spotted from the booth. I thought about how you could complete and, of course, I told the guys. But then one of them called me out on it. I was shocked because he was not only calling me out in front of the group we were with but on the loud speaker, too. Then they started pumping this jump up to the crowd for after the race – so I had to do it. It was a 45 x 10 foot transfer that was jumping across a turn, over the fencing and then bringing me back to earth lower down on the course. I rode it out and made an almost clean landing – less one crank arm that snapped off as I landed. I still have people who saw that jump and ask me about it to this day.”
Sources: http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1997.html & http://www.redbull.com.au/cs/Satellite/en_AU/Article/Quick-March-021242785490654)