Entries have opened for the 2013 Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Giant, with a huge weekend of mountain bike action set to hit Mt Buller on the Labour Day long weekend, March 9-11.
Now in its fifth year, the Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Giant will see riders enjoy a three-day celebration of mountain biking, plus festival fun with the popular Picnic in the Park food, wine and music festival on the Sunday at Mirimbah Park at the base of Mt Buller.
The event will be held on Mt Buller’s world-class mountain bike trails, which were recently given the highest seal of approval in Australia by the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA). Mt Buller has been recognised with Bronze level Ride Center status, and joins a select group of mountain biking destinations around the world that represent IMBA’s Model Trail recognition for large-scale mountain bike facilities that offer something for every rider.
The Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Giant, organised by event management company Rapid Ascent, the team behind the Anaconda Adventure Race Series, Kona Odyssey and a number of other large-scale adventure events, brings all that is great about mountain biking to one spectacular location in Victoria’s picturesque High Country. Riders of all levels are catered for in the three-day schedule:
- Stage 1 & 1B – A Stirling Circuit: 30km or 50km cross-country race over Mt Stirling and back on Mt Buller’s purpose-built trails, including the acclaimed Stonefly single track;
- Stage 2 – The Brakeburner Enduro: a 4.5 hour multi-lap enduro down a flowing 6km cross-country/downhill course where riders catch the chairlift up and do as many laps as they can until directed down the 12km, 1,100m vertical drop of the Mt Buller Super-D Descent to the base of the mountain, finishing at the Picnic in the Park festival;
- Stage 2B The Mt Buller Super D: a friendly 12km top to bottom race down a flowing 1,100m vertical descent to Mirimbah Park at the base of the mountain;
- Stage 3 – Cornhill Cranker: a 25km cross-country race on the flowing single track around the Mt Buller Village and the neighbouring Corn Hill, taking in the Copperhead flow down trail; and
- Stage 101 – The Kids Race – 10km: designed to gives kids their own fun MTB experience on the easier trails around the Mt Buller Village.
The weekend event will also include a range of event extras, including a Bike Expo in the Village Square, shuttle bus to the famous Merrijig Rodeo on the Saturday night, non-rider activities and more.
Sam Maffett, General Manager of Rapid Ascent, is looking forward to another successful event at Mt Buller. “All in all, the Bike Buller MTB Festival is designed as a super fun mountain bike event for everyone; racers can race, recreational riders can enjoy the trails and the scenery, non riders can enjoy the mountain scenery and we can all get together to enjoy a good party on Saturday night,” says General Manager, Sam Maffett.
Entries are now being taken online for the Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Giant. For further information about the event or to enter, please visit Bikebuller A range of accommodation options are available through Mt Buller’s booking agent High Country Reservations – call 1800 BULLER or visit www.mansfield-mtbuller.com.au to book online.
For further information about Mt Buller’s summer offering, as well as the cross-country mountain biking developments, please visit mtbuller.com.au.