Entries are now open for the adrenaline pumping Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Kona, at Mt Buller Victoria over the March long weekend, 8-10 March 2014.
The sixth edition of this unique event brings together a variety of cross country (XC) and popular Super D style races to one spectacular location with competitors attracted from across Australia.
Bike Buller MTB Festival presented by Kona is regarded by many as one of Australia’s most revolutionary MTB events, with 2013 Overall Winner Paul Van der Ploeg stating, “Every stage has been exceptional with so much diverse terrain; what an amazing place!”
Event organiser, Rapid Ascent, is expecting another capacity field following 2013’s bumper crowd.
“The festival has become one of the fastest growing mountain biking events on the calendar, growing from a first year attendance of 220, to 700 riders in 2013.” Said Sam Maffett, General Manager Rapid Ascent.
The mountain bike festival provides the ultimate test for mountain bike riders, and is set to challenge participants once again with a number of thrilling races over the three days, including a mix of cross country and ‘all mountain’ courses, plus the new Flow Pump Track Pursuit.
The event will feature a choice of 35km or 50km cross-country (XC) route over Mt Stirling and back as Stage 1; Stage 2 the Mavic Crossmax Enduro utilises the ski lifts for a 4.5hr multi-lap downhill circuit before sending riders flying off down the hill to finish at the ‘Picnic in the Park’; Stage 2b the Super-D, is a flowing 12km 1100 metre vertical descent, also finishing at Mirimbah; and finally Monday’s Stage 3 finale, the Cornhill Cranker, is a 22km XC that uses parts of the Copperhead Trail.
Competitors can attack the weekend as a stage race doing all races, or chose to do one or more of the races separately. Plus there’s a kid’s race included on the Saturday giving the next generative a taste of the infamous mountain bike tracks.
New for 2013, the Flow Pump Track Pursuit will take place on the Saturday evening as a head-to-head pursuit style format that will make for incredible watching and impressive riding.
Overall, the event provides eager mountain bike riders and their families a massive weekend of bikes, single track, fresh air and partying at an internationally renowned mountain bike destination – Mt Buller.
“We’re excited about the 2014 edition as once again we have designed a super fun mountain bike event for everyone, from eager racers to recreational riders, and non-participants can also enjoy the mountain scenery.” Said Maffett.
Director of Marketing, Sales and Business Development for Mt Buller Mt Stirling Resort Management, Amber Gardner, is looking forward to the return of the festival event.
“We’re really looking forward to the Bike Buller MTB Festival returning to Mt Buller for another massive weekend of riding.” Gardener said. “The event is always a highlight on our calendar, giving riders a super fun weekend that showcases the majority of our XC trail network. Sensational riding, great fun and plenty of socialising makes for one seriously awesome weekend on top of the world at Mt Buller.”
The three-day celebration of single track will again coincide with the popular ‘Picnic in the Park’ food, wine and music festival held at the base of Mt Buller. There will also be a Bike Expo and plenty for non-riders to enjoy, including a range of exciting activities available on and around Mt Buller to suit all ages and interests.
LONG WEEKEND SCHEDULE OF RACES
· Stage 1 – A Stirling Circuit: 50km cross country (XC) over Mt Stirling and back again on the incredible ‘Stonefly’ single track and other flowing trails in a magical alpine setting.
· Stage 1b – 35km XC. A shortened version of Stage 1 that still takes In Stonefly and some stunning alpine single track.
· Stage 2 – Mavic Crossmax Enduro: a 4.5hr multi-lap enduro down a flowing XC-downhill course where you catch the ski lift up as part of each 6km lap until the final 12km Super D descent to the ‘Picnic in the Park’ food, wine and music festival at the bottom of the mountain. Suitable for XC bikes.
· Stage 2b – The Mt Buller Super D: a friendly 12km top to bottom race down a flowing 1,100m vertical descent to the ‘Picnic in the Park’. Suitable for XC bikes.
· Stage 3 – Cornhill Cranker: 22km XC: on the flowing single track around the Mt Buller village and neighbouring Corn Hill.
· Stage 101 – The Kids Ride – 10km: held on the single track around the village – designed to give kids their own MTB fun experience.
· Flow Pump Track Pursuit: Head-to-head pump track racing in the village square to the beats of Red Bull’s DJ truck. Winner takes all (cash) prize.