Mountain Biking in Thredbo is set to reach new heights in 2013 with more trails, more bikes and plans to create a world class trail network.
Renowned trail designers, World Trail, have commenced work on the new Thredbo mountain bike Concept Plan, that will see Thredbo become one of the country’s most iconic mountain bike destinations.
World Trail, are industry leaders in design and construction and are one of the most respected authorities in sustainable trail technology. Director and professional trail designer Glen Jacobs and his team are set to create a network of downhill, cross country and skill based trails utilising a series of natural and man-made features across the village and mountain areas.
Familiar with Thredbo, Jacobs first rode the famous downhill in 1992, he is looking forward to developing the resort trail network.
“Thredbo has a history of biking and the potential is limitless. The terrain is exciting with vast open glades, bushland, granite outcrops and spectacular natural features, there is easy chairlift access to the top plus village facilities and a community to boot, it will be incredible.
“We will be crafting trails to suit recreational riders with climbs, descents and loops that showcase the resort features, an optioned up racing trail grid with wet weather options and iconic downhill products that will all complement the new Thredbo Valley Track. It is exciting times ahead for Australian mountain bikers.” said Jacobs.
The Concept Plan that will be a three stage process will be finalised to Thredbo in February with work to commence soon after.
New for this season is establishment of Thredbo MTB, a new business that will operate biking in Thredbo and shape the Snowy Mountains Resort into one of Australia’s key mountain biking destinations.
In an exciting move, the experienced downhill duo of Daniel Taliana and Tim Windshuttle, return to run mountain operations after a second season working and racing at Canada’s MTB mecca – Whistler Mountain.
South East Mountain Biking’s Jane Corben will also be on board to assist with the Thredbo MTB launch and special events.
“It’s great to see the emphasis this summer is on developing the mountain biking in Thredbo.
“The Thredbo trail Concept Plan is integral to the mountains future prosperity.” said Ms Corben
- Stage 1 of the Thredbo Valley Track is now complete with close to seven kilometres of gentle gradient riding on offer. Meandering along the Thredbo River the ride takes in impressive bridge crossings and valley views. This Trail will be officially opened on the opening weekend of the mountain biking season – 17/18th November.
- The new Kosciuszko Flow Track will be the intermediate alternative to the Thredbo Downhill. This top to bottom gravity flow trail has all the tricky technical features removed and is ideal for those who are comfortable on the bike and are keen to experience the downhill thrill.
- The famous Thredbo Downhill has also been revamped with the addition of new jumps and features.Thredbo will also host a number of high profile mountain biking events for the countries leading riders.
- Round #5 NSW State Championships; 17th & 18th November
- Round #2 National MTB Series Championships; 8th – 10th February
- Australian MTB Interschool’s; 15th – 17th March“Mountain Biking is already one of our key summer activities and with the development of new trails and facilities we are really looking to ensuring that everyone from experts to first timers can enjoy some of the longest and most scenic trails in the country.” said Angus Thomson, Director of Marketing at Thredbo.The Thredbo Mountain Bike Downhill Season kicks off November 19th.