The not-so-minor details
Lord Nelson Three Sheets Pale Ale
The Lord Nelson Brewery
May induce Naval Commanding thoughts.
Is there every any with beer?
Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (29 September 1758 – 21 October 1805) was a British flag officer famous for his service in the Royal Navy, particularly during the Napoleonic Wars.
As he stood at the bridge of HMS Seahorse at the end of the in the Battle of Santa Cruz de Tenerife Lord Nelson dreamed of one day retiring from his sea battles to a more peaceful life of trail adventures and the simplicity of riding a mountain bike.
He also wanted to enjoy his post ride relaxation and thus created the Three Sheets Pale Ale in honour of the three things he loved the most: Mountain biking, trails, and beer. Created in the stern manner in which he commanded the Royal fleet this delicious ale delightfully balances malted scents with soft overtones of herbaceous hop characters, citrus flora’s and aromas.
In the dying moments of his life, Lord Nelson had just these few simple words, “Drink, drink. Ride, ride. Fun, fun.”. His historic words alone tell you the truth about a beer that is a prefect post ride partner.
Always drink the Three Sheets as Lord Nelson would, with your left arm.
On 29th June 1831 a man named Richard Phillips obtained a liquor licence for the Shipwright Arms on the north-east corner of Kent and Argyle streets.
The next year, because of the support of the seafarers and the workers on Observatory Hill, he changed the name to The Sailor’s Return. In 1838 Phillips sold to a plasterer, William Wells, who lived on theopposite corner in a two – storey colonial home he built in 1836 using sandstone blocks quarried from the area at the base of Observatory Hill. Wells continued to operate the pub opposite his home firstly as the Sailors Return, and in 1840 as the Quarryman’s Arms.
In 1841 he sold The Quarrymans Arms and on 1st May 1841 he obtained a liquor licence for his home, which he had been slowly converting to a Hotel since March 1840. He called the hotel The Lord Nelson. The Wells family operated the pub for the next 30 years and the property stayed in family ownership for a further 18.
A photograph of the hotel taken in 1852, during the tenure of the Wells family, was used to complete a restoration of the building to its former grandeur in 1986. The Brewery was then added in 1987 (including the addition of the word Brewery to the façade) and a significant upgrade to the Accommodation was undertaken in the 1990’s giving us the pub as it is today.
One of the more favourite ales from the Lord Nelson Brewery is the Three Sheets Australian Pale Ale. One of the first hotels to brew their own. Delightfully balanced malt, overtones of herbaceous hop characters, citrus flora’s and aromas. Medium Gold in Colour.