Pivot have become the latest brand to get fat, with a fat-tyred version of their awesome LES hardtail (which we tested last year). Read below for the official word from Pivot.
With the new LES Fat, we’ve gone beyond the boundaries of the typical fat bike and created the world’s most versatile big-tire machine.
The key to making the LES Fat a go-to option in any season is the newly patented Swinger dropout system. This simple-to-use design enables riders to quickly and easily change both chainstay length and bottom bracket height to accommodate 4” or 5” fat-bike tires as well as the newer 27.5”+ and 29”+ wheel sizes – all while optimizing geometry for the correct bottom bracket height and the shortest chainstay length possible for each wheelsize.
The LES Fat maintains ideal geometry via the indexed adjustment arc of the dropouts – the bigger the wheel and the more clearance, the lower the bottom bracket. Choosing the shortest possible chainstay length gives riders a flickable, playful ride. Selecting a longer wheelbase and more tire clearance provides stability for heavy loads and messy conditions. Included with the frameset and complete bike are two headset cup options (Zero Stack and 18mm), for perfectly balanced front-end geometry at any wheelsize.
The full carbon frame of the Pivot LES Fat features leading-edge materials and our proprietary hollow-core, internal-molding process. This coveted technology enables us to create an ultra-lightweight frame featuring slim top tube and seatstay profiles, as well as the largest downtube in the category. When combined with a 132mm Press Fit BB, the result is best-in-class power transfer and vertical compliance that makes epic rides comfortable and fun.
The LES Fat includes a Pivot-designed taper-steerer carbon fork with 150mm dropout spacing and is also RockShox Bluto compatible – one wheelset will work with both fork options. This identical spacing makes it easy for riders to transition between uses, whether they are gearing up for winter training, long distance touring or seeking more aggressive terrain.
We want riders to be able to use the LES Fat as their daily driver. With that in mind, 2x, 1x and singlespeed gearing compatibility makes the LES Fat an ideal choice in any terrain, and the LES Fat rear spacing is a generous 197mm with an innovative low Q-factor design (the lowest in the category) when built with the Pivot/E-Thirteen co-designed fat bike crankset. The combined gearing options and knee-saving Q-factor provide the best possible pedaling performance in high-cadence racing, training and trail-riding applications.
The Pivot Internal Cable Port System makes cable routing simple to install and maintain via large, easy to access ports and interchangeable covers. Easily switch between a variety of cable routing options for the cleanest installation.
Additional details include integrated rear rack mounts, internal dropper post routing and 3 water bottle mounts – making the LES Fat the perfect choice for any big tire adventure.
- Clears 5” tires for unpacked snow, mud and sand
- Fits all fat and plus wheelsizes (26 X 3.8, 26 X 4.8, 27.5+ and 29+) via the patented Swinger II dropout system
- Full carbon frame featuring proprietary hollow core internal molding technology and largest downtube in the category
- Pivot carbon fork with 150mm spacing
- Full length internal cable routing via Pivot’s exclusive, Cable Port System including internal dropper compatibility
- 197mm rear spacing accommodates tires up to 5 inches
- Optimized low Q-factor design when built with co-designed Pivot/E-Thirteen fat bike specific crankset included in our complete builds.
- 2x, 1x and singlespeed compatible
- Shimano side-swing front derailleur compatible via a low profile e-type mount
- Rear rack mounts
- 3 bottle cage mounts
- Sizes S, M, L for riders between 5’6” and 6’4”